Friday, March 2, 2012

Last Day on the Beach!

Howdy y'all.

So it's my last day in Gokarna, which is pretty perfectly timed. Any longer and I think I'd feel like I'm wasting my time in relaxation, and any shorter and I'd be like 'Hey, why the fuck wasn't I on the beach longer?!' I'm getting somewhat tan, making international friends, doing magic for people, swimming in the ocean... it's been fun, but the time is ripe for new adventures!

Last night, I triumphantly ended my week of inebriated debauchery by becoming too drunk and embarrassing Alex at his favorite restaurant by blasting my shitty music over the much-enjoyed tunes already playing at the cafe. Intoxicated as I was, I do not recall the incident, but concede I probably created enough shame for the both of us. As it happens, we are not now traveling to Jaipur together to celebrate Holi, but splitting at Mumbai and heading separately. It actually comes as a blessing in disguise, as I've been itching to travel alone since my trip beguth but wasn't sure how to instigate the ordeal. My one hangup in being a lonesome traveler was a curiosity as to the ease in making new friends, but as it happens, international discourse comes swiftly and without toil. I do wish I hadn't succeeded in alienated my compadre, or at least warned him that my plan all along was to make merry on the beach without hindrance or foresight. Alas. Sorry Alex. We're parting with mutual respect and affability, and I think the road will bring us both closer to whatsoever we are seeking.

Now that my forethought ploy is no longer sensible, I must grok what next to do. Certainly I shall venture northwards for the celebrations, but Jaipur never held much drawing power for me anyway, so my choice of paths is betwixt Udaipur and Varanasi. Methinks Varanasi holds more allure, for the twin reasons I've never been and heard so much. Indeed, as I sit here typing, the choice makes itself for me: Varanasi it is! The next time I regale you with my encounters, it will be in the holiest of Hindu cities, where simply dying there guarantees nirvana and the river smolders with the remains of the recently departed. For now, the ocean!

2 comments:

  1. Good choice, Varanasi is pure magic. Listen for the voices of the dead as you first enter the city, or if you come in the day, go to the ghats at night. You can hear this humming. :) _Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are going to Varanasi. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete